Considering that many employees spend the majority of their time at work, it is beneficial for companies to invest in their employees’ well-being. Sitting at a desk for several hours a day can cause poor posture or even other health issues. Whether you work at home or at an office, situations like this can be prevented by selecting proper office furniture.
One solution that many have incorporated into many offices nowadays is a sit-stand desk. This desk was created specifically to give people the option of sitting when their legs are tired and standing up when their back hurts. It is truly the best of both worlds. However, is a sit-stand desk right for you? CubicleWorld.com can help you find the right sit-stand desk for your office space.
Let’s explore some advantages of incorporating the use of a sit-stand desk in your workplace.
1. Improves Your Posture
Have you been having problems with your neck, slouching or even back pains? If you work long hours, chances are these are caused by sitting for too long or using a desk that is not ergonomic friendly. An ergonomic sit-stand desk is designed to help you avoid all of these issues and maintain an excellent posture while using a computer. For good posture, experts advise having your monitor at eye level and about 20 inches from your face and tilted at a 20 degree angle. Whether you are sitting or standing, observing these tips will greatly improve your posture.
2. Reduces Back Pain
There are many different factors that can cause back pain. However, sitting at a desk for long periods of time can aggravate the problem. Luckily, this does not have to be your reality, and by making the necessary adjustments, you can end the pain. That’s where a sit-stand desk can help you get some pain relief.
3. Improves the Position of Your Wrist
Working on your laptop while seated or having it on your lap consistently, can have some negative effects on your wrists. This is because these positions are uncomfortable for your wrists and it can lead to wrist strain and pain. The recommended angle to sit so that your wrists rest comfortably is at 90-100 degrees. Also, using a sit-stand desk can provide you the best angle for your wrist and arms. Which will also keep your arms comfortably bent while you work without putting strain on your body.
4. Increases Productivity
Your brain and concentration suffer greatly by working long hours every day, which affects your productivity levels as well. Standing helps with improving your focus and boost your mood, providing you with energy to be productive. A study at Texas A&M University found people who stood up at work in a call center were 50% more productive. When you stand for a while, your overall well-being improves and you feel better. Also, when you feel good, it helps boost your mood. Therefore, use a sit-stand desk for those extra health benefits if you have been experiencing fatigue or stress at work.
5. Lowers Your Risk of Weight Gain and Other Health Issues
A sedentary lifestyle has been associated with weight gain, obesity, and other health issues. When you are sitting at your desk for hours with little to no movement, your body is not burning any calories. If you are not careful, you may find yourself consuming more calories than your burning, which is a recipe for weight gain. How does a sit-stand help with this problem? According to research, standing will result to burning more calories than sitting. Those are extra calories you are burning which can help you prevent gain. Staying fit reduces the risk of other health problems, as well.
Tips for Choosing a Good Quality Sit-Stand Desk
Choose a Desk with Adjustable Height
- If you’re too short or too tall from the average recommended height, you have to consider the height of the sit-stand desk. The recommended height for a sit-stand desk is 22.6 inches to 48.7 inches. However, the actual height will depend on your demands and whether you are using a shared desk with others.
Shapes and Sizes of a Sit-Stand Desk
- Many employees want to have a lot of space to spread out their work. So, ideally the recommended depth of a sit-stand desk in a modern office layout is 30 inches. Again, you can consider various sizes and shapes to offer the best experience for your employees.
- How easy is it to raise and lower your desks? Are you using your hand or an automatic button? You need to consider that so you know how you can adjust the height every time you use the desk.
- In addition to the desk’s aesthetics, you must consider how functional it will be in your workspace as well. This is because it will affect how you use the desk.
- There is a sit-stand desk available for every budget. It is important to consider all of the factors you want included when you are selecting the right sit-stand desk for your workplace.
Find the Best Sit-Stand Desk at Cubicleworld.com
If you are ready to convert from a traditional desk to a sit-stand desk, Cubicleworld.com is here to help make the transition. We will guide you to find the perfect desk for your workplace.
Today is the best time to get on your feet and make the difference in your workplace.